Thursday, March 18, 2010

Polka dot Monkey School-desk

My little baby boy is 2 and a half.  And I had mentioned a week or so ago that there was a HUGE consignment sale going on around these parts of which I put the baby crib in and SOLD! Its kinda sad but now we need a Big Boy bedroom, and some furniture!
I remembered I had an old school desk in my attic and thought it would make a cute nightstand. But it was kinda bland....

And numbers are so the hot thing right now that I thought it would be cute to put one on this school desk.  I didn't want to paint the whole thing and ruin its "old Charm". O and did I mention I don't have a printer, so I found a #3 on Google images and just blew up my screen page to the size I wanted and traced it on some parchment paper. 


Probably not the easiest way but I had looked for a stencil at HL and they came up short.  So I did what I had to do! And as you can see in the pic above it started curling up in the middle.  Luckily I had traced it on the wood first. After the first coat with the paper I took it off and just stayed in the lines.


I was pleased and at this point it had cost me nothing.  I used the red chalkboard paint I had left over from my kitchen.


My theme for his room is sock monkeys, but not over kill!  Just the colors mostly and a monkey here and there!  The socks you see above I found at Wal-Mart for 3.00 for 2 pair and they look just like a sock monkey, but I have no idea what to do with them.  So far I thought of cutting them up and making a pillow or my friend Sarah suggested hanging them on a clothes line on the wall (thats my fav so far!) Please leave me any suggestions you have! I would love your thoughts!

My inspiration for the theme was from The Shabby Nest, her first post from the So you think you can decorate series! I have thoroughly enjoyed that!



I am TRYING HARD to put my own twist on it! I saw this cute chalkboard at HL for 4$ I couldn't make it myself for that! And I already had the lamp which needs some ribbon on it!


The seat desperatly needed a cover on it and I do not sew anything more that a hem in something and I am lucky if that works out!! I was at Target yesterday and ran across this....



This adorable polka dot floor mat that was "squissshhhy" :)



So I just traced the back of it to fit the seat and cut! And badda bing instant seat cover.



Can't wait to put this beside his bed (that he doesn't have yet).


This was sitting by the door when we came home last night from church.  And my hubs always complains that every pic I post of him is in a white undershirt...I told him this was his opportunity for a decent pic on the blog, so he ceased the moment!


And he loved the desk too!

41 comments:

One Cheap B*tch said...

What a great, simple makeover! We have an old school desk and I'm really puzzled on what I want to do with it. It has the lift up top and everything. Ideas, anyone?

gina@3ringcottage said...

I have that same desk...hmmm, you're giving me ideas! Of course, love the choice of the red 3! Can't wait to see the whole room.

Debilou ~ Mississippi Mama said...

I love the old desk and your idea to use it differently than what its intended for,, and soo love the seat cover,, I'll have to remember that..

Jennifer said...

Love, love LOVE the desk!!! My mom used to have a ton of these from her old Sunday School class. We sanded and stained them all which = a LOT of work, but worth it! E's big boy room is going to be SO cool! I love the taupe and red. =0) (and the pictures of your hubs cracks me up! You guys are just too cute for words.)

Lori said...

The look on your son's face as Dad put's his foot on "his" new desk. Priceless. I love those old desks.

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

I love the desk! Very cool!

I also don't think your son likes daddys foot on his desk! : )

Rhonda said...

The whole thing turned out adorable! How clever (the seat cover). Your son is crackin' me up in that 1st pic.

Melissa said...

cute idea - and I kinda like the socks hanging with the monkey just the way they are...

Kimmy said...

Really cute!! I love the stencil on the desk, adds the perfect little touch! :)

Simply Stafford said...

Jacob......is that really you???? Didn't recognize him out of his normal attire!! Your momma!!

NE way, you know I have a thing for a sock monkey, luv it! When he is ready to move on to Star Wars or something in a couple years you can pass the sock monkey stuff my way ;)

The Single Nester said...

Oh my gosh. The face on the little boy is precious!

A very blessed lady! said...

Sarah, Jacob said..."your momma's momma!"

The No Money Mama said...

I just love how this came out, so cute!

Atticmag said...

So sweet -- all of it! He will love it more as time goes on. Please stop by to see our home tour if you have time. -- Jane F.

CC said...

I love the little desk..and I love the sock monkey idea...can't wait to see how you finish the room. You're doing wonderfully well with your ideas..keep going.The room will be adorable.

Simply Domestic said...

I love the desk, and the sweet little makeover you've done to it! Can't wait to take a look around your blog. Glad I found you!

Jessi said...

The desk and its accessories are adorable!

Rachelle said...

Very cute!

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

Very cute--love the changes you made!

FrouFrouBritches said...

That is the cutest little school desk I've ver seen! I love the big ole 3 and the mat you cute is precious!!!! LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT!

FrouFrouBritches said...

Okay. I was reading you bio - is your last name pronounced AA-BEAR (like long setter A and bear like teddy bear?)

A very blessed lady! said...

Yes "A-bear" is how its pronounced, Love you already!!! If we lived in Louisianna or Canada or Paris (which would be awesome) I wouldn't have this problem, so it is so nice when someone just knows without me having to re-pronounce it for them! Thanks so much for asking.

BTW we had a foreign exchange student stay with us for a few days once from Paris and we just made hime say our name over and over ...It was beautiful with his accent, but I'm sure he thought we were crazy LOL!

Annie said...

This looks fabulous - I love the sock monkey look!

Lori said...

Fabulous!

Thanks for joining Get Your Craft On Thursday at Life As Lori... Please join me next week for another great party!

Paddywack Designs said...

Very cute! The number 3 looks great. I love the expression on your son's face when your husband is being a ham for the camera... priceless.

Laurie in SC said...

I love your "refreshed" desk - precious! You have a very cute blog, I'll be following. I'd love for you to come visit me at www.sceneofthegrime.blogspot

God bless, Laurie

Jane said...

So adorable! I heat sock monkeys!

amy said...

That turned out so good. I love the vintage look and the sock monkey is perfect.

A while ago we featured an Etsy shop that sells vintage chenille quilt squares on our blog peppertowne.com One of the lots she was selling had a sock monkey theme, it would go perfect with your desk http://www.peppertowne.com/2010/02/monkey-love.html

Kaysi said...

So cute!!

Amy said...

HEEEEEEEEY!

I just came across your website online by chance, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE decorating.... I was on all of my FAV websites & I saw the link that said Polka Dot Monkey..... anyways..... I have this feeling YOU might be Pentecostal just like ME??? Hmmmmm!

I love you website, style & pictures! I live in VA & attend Jack Cunningham's church! My husband & I are involved in ministry in so many ways & we have a MIracle little girl!

I will continue to keep up with you website, not many of the ones I follow for decorating are church people so this is great!

BTW-The reason Polka Dot Monkey caught my eye is because my friend & I are getting ready to open a Kids Consignment Store called "The Polka Dot Elephant"!

-AMY

Julie said...

I love that you used the placemat. Brilliant idea. Thanks for sharing with Made it Monday! Jules

avisiontoremember said...

that is super cute!
Thanks for linking up to check me out saturdays

Katie Olthoff said...

That picture is hilarious! I love the look on your little guy's face!

Crystal Spencer said...

I love your sock monkey idea! Those little guys are so cute!

Unknown said...

This turned out great! Thanks for linking up this week!

Cindy said...

What a wonderful makeover! The desk looked good before but even better now! I love the photo of your hubby looking so happy and you son looking a little mad! You have a very handsome hubby! Hugs, Cindy S

Andy Porter said...

Such a CUTE desk!! I love the number 3...I love the dots.. I love the everything!! Cute sock monkey too!!! Just so fun!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

That is just darling. I love the polka dots you used. And the number too. Awesome!

Thanks for linking up to my party!

XOXO
Jen

Miss Mustard Seed said...

So cute! And I love your guys posed with it.

Springerswpf said...

that is super cute! Thanks for linking up to check me out saturdays

Anonymous said...

I wanted to thank you for this wonderful read!! I absolutely enjoyed every
bit of it. I've got you saved as a favorite to look at new things you post…

My blog post ... email templates html